Why Sunday is for flea markets

If South America is known for its afternoon siestas, then Europe is known for its relaxing Sundays.
Even in a city as large as Berlin, the day has a certain peacefulness and zen that you don’t feel in the atmosphere on other days.
During the week, people are working.
Friday and Saturday, people are partying.
Sunday?
People are at the flea market.
But..Mauerpark flea market isn’t like anything you’d find back home. It has an outdoor karaoke stage, intense basketball games, a ridiculous amount of people, delicious street food and a plethora of handmade and vintage goods.

The entrance to Mauerpark.

Like really, Mauerpark flea market is huge. You could spend all day there and still not be able to visit every stand. 

A crowd of people watching a game of basketball at Mauerpark Sunday flea market.

After exploring the basketball court and grassy (yet extremely dusty) walking area, I walked to the top of the hill where I found mojitos being sold out of an ice cooler. 
I then decided it was time to check out the pop-up shops. I love supporting small artists and finding the treasure that’s scattered in the junk.
I was awe-struck by the amount of talented people who were peddling their wares. 
After visiting just 5 or 6 stands, I met a Brasilian who had arrived just the day before that was selling his wire-wrapped necklaces and bracelets. I was automatically taken away by how beautiful they were.
After getting lost in the dusty jungle and feeling like I had enough local art to satisfy myself, I started to make my way back to the grassy area that everyone was relaxing in.

A woman selling authentic Turkish coffee.

It was there that I found them.
Pikolino’s ($120+ at Nordstrom) in my size. For 25 euro. 
I was delighted and surprised. If I hadn’t stopped and peeked inside the random suitcase trunk that someone was selling out of, I could have walked right past the perfect souvenir.
While proudly carrying my new shoes (no plastic bags, of course) through the park I encountered many street performers and musicians. All you can do is wonder if they will ever “make it big,” but really, it’s what I under about so many people in this city.
For a place that’s full of such diversity, creativity and warmth, it seems many people are pursuing their passions while working 9-5 jobs. I hope one day the Berliners I see performing in the streets can make it to the big time.

A street performer and his props at Mauerpark Sunday flea market. 


Although my time in this place is drawing to an end, I don’t think I’ll forget this study abroad trip for a long time. I’ve learned so much about this place through the people I’ve seen and talked to. 

Comments