The dress code…and other Berlin formalities

You don’t have to be German to be a Berliner. In a city that’s so culturally diverse, the title can belong to many different nationalities. Regardless of country of origin, Berliners share one common decibel: the dress code. They know it, love it and abide by it.
Stepping out of the S-Bahn (above-ground subway) on a Saturday night near the East Side Gallery and the dress code is clear. All black. It doesn’t matter if you’re young or old, rich or poor, black or white, male or female, the attire is decided for you. 
Thankfully, I got the memo and was wearing dark blue. Close enough to get into the many desirable clubs and bars lining the streets near “Raw,” an abandoned train repair station turned nightlife district. 

Edgar Pimento, a travelling juggler originally from Mexico, jumps a fence in Raw after using the off-limits portable toilet.

This isn’t like back home, kids, they really will turn you away if you don’t fit the bill. 
The dress code matches the attitudes of the people around me. Somber. In Berlin, the less amused you look, the better your chances of getting into the best nightclub and having a great time. 
In America, showing up to a club dressed for a funeral and not uttering a word in the queue line might have people convinced you’re a bit deranged. 
Ah, the many formalities of Germany’s capital. 
I quickly catch on and don’t speak a word of English while I wait for my turn with the bouncer. I give him my meanest “I don’t want to be here,” face and he lets me through.
But it doesn’t stop with the nightlife. It’s the little things I start noticing that surprise me the most. 
Everywhere I turn, plastic and glass bottles line the streets. 

An aluminum can and glass bottle waiting to be turned to cash by the Berliners who scour the city looking for recyclables.

At first, I think how rude it is people simply leave their drink where they want. I learn from one of our tour guides that in Berlin, these bottles can be worth up to 25 Euro cents a piece. This adds up easily when I realize how many I see lining the street. 
Something that may not look too pretty at first begins to blend as part of the flavor of the city. Berliners are conscientious of their environment and the others in the city. The bottles don’t bother me at all after this realization. 
Public transit in Berlin is simple to navigate and runs frequently. 

The Metro Tram whizzes by a residential street.

The four options can be found everywhere. No excuses for taking that expensive taxi across town.
The U-Bahn (underground subway), S-Bahn (above-ground subway), Metro Tram and bus run frequently. With an unlimited pass for all four, I feel comfortable exploring the options at my fingertips. 
Even public transit comes with formalities, as I’m sure you’d expect. 
The first day we visit the Berlin Wall Memorial and it strikes me how silent everyone on the Metro Tram over is. It’s not like talking is forbidden, but for many people, this is the equivalent of a car ride home after work. They want relaxation, not gibberish all around them. 
Everyone in the group seems to pick this up quickly and either whispers or doesn’t talk. 
It seems the Americans have adapted to their new environment. 

A note left by a visitor to the Berlin Wall Memorial.

Comments